Vajrasana is one of the simplest yoga asanas you can perform. It stimulates vajra nadi, which facilitates digestion and helps relieve constipation and strengthens the lower back, legs and thighs.
What is Vajrasana Yoga Pose?
Vajrasana is a magical asana of yoga that helps us burn fat in the tummy. If you are thin and trim with a flat stomach, you will definitely want to maintain this figure. Practice Vajrasana regularly, at least 15-20 minutes after eating, and you will not regret it. Vajrasana comes from two words: Vajra and asana; Vajra means a diamond and asana, meaning posture. Those who sit in this asana have a steady, firm pose.
Note: Consult a doctor before beginning an exercise regime
Strengthens: Human back, Leg
Stretches: Knee, Thigh, Hip, Ankle
Pose type: Seated
Vajrasana also known as:
How To Do The Vajrasana Yoga Pose or the The Diamond Pose?
1. Bend on your knees, stretch your lower legs and hold them together. Your fingers should cross each other.
2. Carefully lower your body so that your buttocks are resting on your heels and thighs on your calf muscles.
3. Put your hands on your knees and look straight ahead with your head.
4. Pay attention to your breathing. Be fully aware of how you breathe and watch carefully when you breathe in and out.
5. You can close your eyes to focus on your breathing and calm your mind.
6. Try to stay in this position for at least 5-10 minutes.
Vajrasana Yoga Pose for Beginners
As a beginner, when you take this position, it is likely that your legs will start to hurt in the blink of an eye. If this happens, all you have to do is undo the asana and stretch your legs forward. Give your ankles, knees and calf muscles a good massage. Over time, with practice, you can sit up to 30 minutes in this Vajrasana yoga asana.
In addition, beginners should slowly and gradually improve the strength of the muscles of the lower back, before trying to delve into the pose or increase the duration.
Precautions and Contraindications
1. You may feel pain in your legs when you start practising this asana. If your leg hurts, undo the asana and stretch the legs. Now massage your ankles, knees and muscles of the body manually. This calms the muscles and the pain gradually disappears as stated in the above point.
2. If you have a knee problem, or have a history of a knee injury or a recent knee surgery; Do not practice Vajrasana yoga asana.
3. You can still practice this asana if you are pregnant. Be careful to hold your knees so as not to stress on your stomach.
Benefits of Vajrasana Yoga Pose
1. This asana improves digestion and eliminates constipation with regular practice.
2. Better digestion prevents ulcers and acidity.
3. Vajrasana yoga asana strengthens your back and relieves patients suffering from problems with lower back and sciatica.
4. Vajrasana yoga asana also strengthens the muscles of the pelvis.
5. It helps to reduce the pain during childbirth, and also reduces menstrual cramps.
6. Vajrasana yoga asana is one of the best you can assume when you want to go into the meditative state, because it is worth the pose.
7. Vajrasana yoga asana calms the mind and gives stability to the mind.
8. Those who suffer from gas problems can practice right after lunch or dinner.
9. Vajrasana yoga asana helps to get rid of back pain.
10. It treats urination problems.
11. It strengthens the genitals.
12. It increases the blood circulation in the body.
13. It is preferred for meditation and concentration.
14. Strengthens the muscles of the thigh.
15. It acts as an analgesic (acting to relieve pain) for patients with arthritis.
16. Reduces nervousness, which always haunts you.
17. It relieves stress.
18. It gives your mind a meditative effect with slow and very good rhythmic breathing.
19. It gives flexibility to the body and tones your body.
20. It helps cleanse the blood.
21. It gives you a flat stomach.
22. It gives strength to the spine.
23. It helps to eliminate Myalgia (pain in a muscle or group of muscles) in the knees, legs and feet.
24. It makes knee and ankle joints flexible and prevents rheumatic diseases.
What Science Says About Vajrasana Yoga Asana
Vajrasana is a stable, firm posture, and those who assume it cannot be shaken easily. This is a meditative posture, but sitting in this posture can be quite a challenge. It is necessary to overcome the pain in the legs and anxiety in the mind in order to master the pose and enter into the meditative state. You need to train yourself to sit quietly and be ready to invest your mind in it.
Vajrasana regulates blood circulation in the lower pelvis. Sitting on the legs reduces blood circulation in the legs and increases circulation in the digestive tract, thereby increasing the efficiency of the digestive system.
Can You Do Vajrasana Yoga Asana Pose with Empty Stomach?
Vajrasana is good for digesting food, if you do it on an empty stomach, it is no use from digestion perspective. Usually asanas should be done on an empty stomach. But Vajrasana asana is one of the few exceptions. This asana can be done immediately after a meal. In fact, Vajrasana is the most effective after meals and helps in proper digestion. However, there is no disadvantage of vajrasana if you are doing with an empty stomach. This will act as an exercise of the muscles stretching exercise for your legs.
Vajrasana is ideal for practicing after lunch or dinner which relieves the constipation, acidity, increases digestion.